Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Debbi Collins

I love how sometimes God orchestrates our morning devotion to compliment our guest speaker's topic. I thought today was a good example of that. Through her devotion, Nancy did a great job of reminding us that God has a purpose and plan for each one of us- if only we allow ourselves to be open to it. Debbi then encouraged us to use our trials in life to inspire others by praising God and finding bits of joy, even in the midst of our trials.

Like all young cancer survivors, I'm sure that Debbi never thought that her life would be threatened at such an early age. Sometimes, I think that God allows these trials to happen just so our walk with Him would be refined, restored, or renewed. Not to mention the fact that there are some amazing testimonies that come from such deliverance! Whether she is speaking to a room full of moms like us or simply being overheard by a woman at a garage sale, Debbi is using her past experiences to inspire others toward a deeper relationship with the Lord. Don't we all aspire to make a difference for the Lord? I know I do.

I recently read a quote by Eric Liddell (Olympian and Missionary to China). He said, "We are all missionaries. Wherever we go, we either bring people nearer to Christ or we repel them from Christ." It got me thinking... do I bring all those that I come in contact with nearer to Christ? Sadly, I know that I don't. But it serves me well to remember that if I am in Christ, I am also on the mission field- right here in the Coachella Valley. This mission field requires no prior training or talent. It simply requires me to be willing to share my story. How awesome is it to know that we too, can impact a soul for God's kingdom? In that sense, each of our life's stuggles are just preparing us to learn more about ourselves and how God wants to use us for His glory. We all have a unique testimony that is ours alone and God wants us to share it with others to encourage them in their own walk of faith.

May God continue to bless Debbi (and her mom) with good health and a deep, true joy that only comes from having a personal relationship with the Lord.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faithe develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish it's work so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing." -James 1:2-4

"You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is being done, the saving of many lives."
-Genesis 50:20




No comments: